Last week’s Boardwalk Empire today! Sorry for the delay — I had a house full of hurricane refugees and time was short.
* Nice to know that you can have half a face and no ability to modulate the pitch of your voice and you can still say something like “Jimmy deserved better than this” and make it crystal clear what you really mean.
* Hey, Hymie Weiss is being played by Meadow Soprano’s fiancé Finn!
* Poor Van Alden, with that whiskey still pumping away amid his kids. That guy is like this weird swiffer cloth, attracting venality and corruption to him wherever he goes.
* Lotta laugh lines in this one:
Nucky’s man Friday: I am so sorry for your loss.
Nucky: Don’t be an idiot.
Nucky: That’s all you’re gonna give me?
Means: Rather more than you came in with.
And of course Esther’s line about running naked through the pages of the United States Criminal Code for fun.
* My notes for this ep, which all my notes for this show are starting to resemble, are basically a series of OMGs. “Jeeeeeesus that club Mellon’s in.” “Sheesh, that low-angle shot of Gillian pouring Nucky a drink.” “Gyp and Richard. Hoo boy.” “That fucking shot of Chicago.” A series of exciting things to see and think about.
* Margaret’s DTF.
* Capone puts on his hat realizing he’s the boss now, right? He is a weirdly lovable figure on this show.
* No question whatsoever that that asshole at the iron company was getting an iron in the face. You really have to admire how far the show went into the absurd with that whole sequence. They’re really making very little effort to either make Van Alden less of a mutant or to tie him into the prevailing tone of the rest of the show.
* The Billie situation was easy enough to see coming, particularly when we start getting her “just a small-town girl, livin’ in a lonely world” backstory. Ah well. Goodbye, Nadine Beckenbauer.